Longevity and the Sardinian People
Sardinia is a unique place. It’s home to the world’s highest concentration of centenarians – people who live to be at least 100 years old. That’s 10 times more than the global average! Researchers believe Sardinia’s longevity can be attributed to its healthy lifestyle and diet – both of which are based on centuries-old traditions. If you’re looking for a place to live a long and healthy life, Sardinia might be the perfect choice!
1. The climate of Sardinia with its dry and sunny weather helps people live longer
2. The food of Sardinia is rich in antioxidants and healthy fats which help protect against diseases
3. The social structure of Sardinia with its close-knit families and supportive communities contributes to longevity
4. The lifestyle of Sardinia with its emphasis on physical activity, relaxation, and enjoyment contributes to a long life expectancy
5. All of these factors combined make Sardinia a unique place for centenarians
Sardinia, an autonomous region of Italy located in the Mediterranean Sea, is home to people who boast the longest life expectancy on earth. This is largely due to their temperate climate, which offers hot and dry summers, mild winters and abundant sunshine year-round. The abundance of bright days allows for extended exposure to Vitamin D, an essential nutrient that helps with mental health and physical endurance. Not coincidentally, the local diet also significantly contributes to longevity—fresh seafood, meat and vegetables are consumed regularly along with legumes, fruits and herbs all native to the area. While it’s impossible to pinpoint precisely why life in Sardinia seems so much longer than elsewhere in the world, the combination of climate, diet and lifestyle certainly plays a role.